It’s that time of the year again! a time of sharing food with family and what better way than these delicious cookies. These would be a perfect little gift for someone or just a nice treat to have anytime of year. This time of year can also be difficult as healthy choices aren’t always an option. That’s why I love making my healthy treats and my family loves eating them;)
Thumbprint cookies usually contain white flour and processed sugar. So to make these gluten free I swapped for a mix of almond meal and brown rice flour which still have that cookie taste. The recipe for the chia seed jam makes about a small jar full so you can store in fridge and use it again if you want to make another batch of cookies or it’s great to put in your oatmeal or overnight oats! Chia seeds absorb to water so the jam becomes nice and thick. Chia seeds are also high in fibre and a good source of omega-3-fatty acids which is a bonus! Cant wait for you to try these! Please let me know what you think and if you recreate, tag me in your Instagram posts so can see! xx
Vegan + Gluten free
- 1⅓ cup almond meal (I used blanched)
- ⅓ cup brown rice flour
- ⅓ cup desiccated coconut
- ½ cup nut butter (I used peanut)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 TBSP ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Berry Jam
- 1 cup berries (I used a mix of fresh strawberries, raspberries and frozen black berries)
- ½ cup water
- squeeze of lemon
- 1 TBSP chia seeds
- Pre heat oven to 170*c.
- First make your chia jam by adding berries, water and lemon juice to saucepan. On a low heat bring to a simmer and start squashing berries down with wooden spoon until they are nice and soft. Add chia seeds and stir until thick then turn off heat and let cool in pan.
- In a large mixing bowl add in all your cookie ingredients and stir until it becomes a dough consistency.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and take a small amount of dough (about a TBSP) and roll into ball, press down in palm on hand and make a hole in centre with thumb. Continue for the remaining cookie dough.
- With a teaspoon, place small drops of chia seeds into the hole of cookies and place in the oven for about 15mins or until they are golden brown around the edges. Once they are ready, let cool and enjoy!
- Store these in an airtight container.