Why Is This Good For Me?
I’m sure most of you have heard of or eaten quinoa before as it’s been becoming very popular these days. More and more people are starting to steer away from gluten products like starchy pasta and white rice by finding healthy alternatives such as quinoa. Quinoa is a seed that has been around for centuries and is very high in protein, iron, magnesium, and fiber making it a healthy pantry staple. This super grain is easy to cook with and has a yummy nutty flavour that leaves you feeling satisfied. I like to make a big bowl of this salad so I can take it as a healthy delicious lunch, your friends and colleges will defiantly envy you!
- 1 cup red and white quinoa rinsed well with water
- 2 cups water
- 1 small sweet potato chopped in cubes
- ½ cucumber
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- ½ capsicum chopped
- 1 stalk of celery chopped
- 3 radishes thinly sliced
- 1 cup parsley chopped
- ½ fresh lemon juiced
- ½ cup raw almonds chopped
- Pre heat oven to 160 degrees, chop sweet potato into small cubes and put into a oven dish then drizzle with some coconut oil making sure its covering all the sweet potato. You can add spices to enhance the flavour (I used sweet paprika and cayenne pepper). Bake for about 30min or until cooked through. Once this is done, take out of the oven and set a side to cool.
- Rinse quinoa under water for about a minute using a fine mesh strainer, place quinoa in saucepan and add two cups of water then bring to boil.
- Cook quinoa for 20 minutes, once cooked pour into a mesh strainer, rinse with cold water and let the water drain out.
- Transfer the quinoa into a large salad bowl and add the chopped up vegetables and almonds adding the roast sweet potato last then mix ingredients together. Pour lemon juice over the salad for the dressing.
- Lasts in the fridge for 4-5 days.