Vegan/ Gluten free/ Sugar free
With christmas just around the corner i’ve decided to make a few nourishing vegan salads for everyone to enjoy! My partner and I will be the only vegans at christmas so we wanted to show our family and friends that eating this way if super delicious and will leave you feeling light and energised throughout the day! This salad is also great for work/ school lunches. You can store in a container in the fridge and you know you have got a nutritious lunch waiting for you to enjoy.
I love using quinoa in my salads because it’s rich in iron, fibre which will keep you feeling satisfied, and is considered a complete protein! Quinoa also is naturally gluten free! Pumpkins are an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory vegetable! They are high in vitamin A and vitamin C which is helps with a healthy immune system and collagen production to maintain beautiful glowing skin. Leafy greens such as spinach are rich source of dietary fibre, folate, vitamin C, potassium and magnesium, and are low in fat and calories. Having greens in your diet is so important because it will help reduce the risk of heart disease and maintain a healthy weight.
- 1 cup raw quinoa
- 2 cups water
- ½ small pumpkin
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 1 avocado skin, seed removed and chopped
- 1 cup green beans chopped
- ½ cup chopped pistachios
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 red chilli
- 1 cup sprouts
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Line baking tray with baking paper, cut a few thin slices of pumpkin (for the top of salad) and chop the rest into cubes. Bake in oven until cooked (about 20-30 mins).
- Add raw quinoa to saucepan and add in water, simmer on a low heat for about 20 minutes until cooked (it should be light and fluffy not gooey).
- Pour quinoa into a sieve and run under cold water, place on a bowl to let all the water drain out, Meanwhile you can chop up all your veggies.
- Add quinoa to a large mixing bowl and add all remaining ingredients. Take out pumpkin from the oven and stir the cubed pieces through the salad and once ready to serve transfer to a plate or salad bowl and add on the sliced pumpkin pieces.
- Topped with more sprouts, chilli, sesame seeds. Enjoy xx